Follow me on Twitter and Instagram!

Instagram

Welcome to Makeup Is My Catnip! A blog dedicated to makeup reviews, comparisons, and previews!

Sunday, May 15, 2016

Review: Kylie Lip Kit

There are three words that have taken the lipstick world by storm: Kylie Lip Kit. Ever since Kylie Jenner launched these kits in late 2015, they have quickly skyrocketed to one of the makeup world's most sought after products.

When I initially saw the colors being offered, I wasn't very intrigued. They were more of the same neutral colors that a lot of companies already offered (in countless variations of each).

As time went on and I heard amazing review after amazing review, I became more interested. As a self-proclaimed liquid lipstick connoisseur, I was curious to see what all of the noise was about. A lot of reviewers were going so far as to say that this was the best formula they had ever used. 

It wasn't until Kylie released 22 that I felt I had to have it. 22 is a gorgeous and very unique red-orange color that, I'll be honest, I tried to dupe for weeks so as to avoid the dramatic online ordering that I still hear nightmares about. I tested so many different shades, and I simply could not find an exact dupe.

And so, I got prepared -- I got some candles, batteries, a hand-crank radio, and bottled water, and got ready for the next Kylie Cosmetics re-stock. (Totally kidding. The ordering process was a breeze, but more on that in a moment.)

I have a soft spot for nude lipsticks, and can't get enough of varying shades of them. As such, I decided to grab Dolce K along with 22, since I had somehow managed to crack the code of ordering the Kylie Lip Kit, and wanted to grab two to test consistency.
























I am not sure if it was just luck, but I was able to get in and out of the site with a successful order in less than 5 minutes. Not only that, but Customer Service was really quick to reply when I sent them an email to let them know that I had accidentally put my email in with a typo. They corrected it right away, and about 5 business days later, the Lip Kits had arrived! I had heard a TON of horror stories about Lip Kit Orders, and am happy to say, my experience was smooth (but not to say there wasn't some nervousness and palm-sweating when I hit submit!).


Left to right: 22 lip liner, 22 liquid lipstick, Dolce K lip liner, Dolce K liquid lipstick

As I am sure almost all of you already know, the kits cost $29, and come with a liquid lipstick and a matching lip liner. 22 is a gorgeous red-orange, and Dolce K is a beige nude.


Left to right: 22 lip liner, 22 liquid lipstick, Dolce K lip liner, Dolce K liquid lipstick

PROS:
  • The liquid lipstick formula is wonderful. Really. It's a more liquid formula, but not to the point where it's hard to control. It flows exactly where you want it, and dries instantly.
  • Once it dries, it does. not. move. It's slightly less long wearing as my kings of long-wear liquid lipstick (Stila, Kat Von D, and Anastasia), but it is not behind by much. I can easily get 6 hours of perfect wear before I get some fading on the inner lip. I have heard reviews of peeling, but I have not experienced this at all.
  • The lipstick is so, so soft, and completely un-drying. I am shocked every time I wear these at just how nice my lips feel with this formula. Not only do they not dry my skin out, but they actually feel good -- that is a huge accomplishment for a liquid lipstick that is as matte and long-wearing as this.
  • There is a delicious cupcake smell in the lipsticks. It's not as sweet in Dolce K, but it's very noticeable in 22, and I love it!
  • The pencil is super, super creamy. It's extremely pigmented, and it does not take a lot of product to line and fill in the lips completely. 
CONS:
  • While the scent is very pleasant in 22, as I mentioned above, it's less prevalent in Dolce K, to the point where it almost smells a little...off. It's not off-putting at all. but it's just slightly odd enough to get your attention.
  • While the lipstick is amazingly soft and comfortable, that happiness lasts only until you eat something. I find that no matter what I eat (oily or not), as soon as food is consumed, the formula loses the nice softness, and begins to break down on the inner lip. The upside is that it reapplies easily, but still worth mentioning.
  • Ordering is not a smooth process for everyone, I know. This could be a huge con for someone who doesn't have the patience to deal with dramatic re-stocks, but I know the company has been re-stocking frequently. If you are still interested, keep an eye out and try again because I hear there's more and more product being released each time. 
  • The company does not offer any returns. Seriously. I can't help but to think it's 2016 -- how can a company not have a return policy, especially in the case of online-only makeup? I guess Kylie Cosmetics is still in the early phases, and could be focusing on processing sales before developing a system for returns, but this would have been a major, major drawback if I had not liked the product.
OVERALL RATING:

B+

I really do enjoy these Kylie Lip Kits, and am happy to have them in my makeup rotation. While Dolce K is not a unique color by any means, I am in love with how unique 22 is, and am really satisfied with the product's performance.  

Have you tried the Kylie Lip Kit? Planning to try it or steering clear? Let me know in the comments below! :-)



Follow me on on Instagram and Twitter!




Instagram

No comments:

Post a Comment