Follow me on Twitter and Instagram!

Instagram

Welcome to Makeup Is My Catnip! A blog dedicated to makeup reviews, comparisons, and previews!

Wednesday, October 2, 2019

Fall-idays 2019!

Hello, everyone, and happy fall! While I am always sad to see the summer weather drift away, the silver lining for me is always fall makeup releases! Warm burgundy and mustard tones, glittery deep coppers, and sparkly, deep rose golds -- fall tones speak directly to my makeup-loving heart. The one part of these new launches that I always find to be strange, though, is that along with the fall releases, we get an influx of holiday releases! It always kind of feels like we are fast-forwarding through fall and straight to winter. I guess the early holiday releases could be targeting (very) early holiday shoppers, but I've always felt it would be nice to have a bit of a staggered timeline. 

This rapid-fire melding of makeup seasons, my friends, is what we can refer to as FALL-IDAY releases! With that said, here are my "Fall-iday" picks from all of the recent fall/holiday 2019 launches! Scroll down to see my thoughts on each product, what drew me to it, and a (100% non-affliate) Sephora link to the product if you'd like to read more about it! 



1. Tarte Chrome Paint Shadow Pot in the shade Caramel Apple -- This is a loose metallic shadow that is a part of the recent Tarte Fall Feels collection. It's a beautiful copper toned rose gold shade that applies extremely smoothly, and has a stunning metallic finish! I like to apply this shadow with a flat, synthetic brush, using either the Too Faced Glitter Glue or the Anastasia Beverly Hills Glitter Adhesive under it. (Both of those items are fantastic, by the way, and especially beneficial for avoiding transfer of glitter and metallic products on hooded eyes.)

2. Too Faced Gingerbread Extra Spicy Eyeshadow Palette -- Ah, Too Faced. The undoubted leader of high-volume holiday releases. I am usually not drawn to their holiday releases, but last year, the first Gingerbread palette caught my eye from the initial sneak-peek. Last year's Gingerbread Spice palette is one of the best quality items I have ever tried from Too Faced, which is why I was eager to try this year's sequel, the "Extra Spicy" version. 
Top: Gingerbread Spicy (2018); bottom: Gingerbread Extra Spicy (2019)
The "Extra Spicy" name is a surprise to me, as when you compare the two palettes, the initial version is definitely the "spicier", more vibrant version, but overall, I am a fan of the interweaving color story between the two palettes. As you will see, both versions are pretty similar, and I see "Extra Spicy" serving as a warm, more subdued (and more matte) partner to the original Spicy version. I'm really looking forward to using both together this fall.

3. Dominique Cosmetics Celestial Storm Eyeshadow Palette -- This was one of the first fall releases I saw advertised towards the end of the summer, and was immediately drawn to its unconventional approach to fall looks! I love that it has a deep brown, orange, and plum to meet the more traditional fall spectrum, but also mixes in the deeper fuchsia, teal, and taupe to elevate the color story quite a bit. The palette also has two shimmery topper shades intended to add some soft, twinkle-like glimmer to your look. 

4. Pat McGrath Labs Blitz Astral Quads -- These quads were a total and pleasant surprise, as the first time I saw them was when they became available at Sephora. The quad is a new offering for Pat McGrath, as she's previously only put out 12 and 6-pan palettes, and there's currently two quads available (as well as a third Selfridges exclusive). What drew me in most about these two quads was that they exclusively feature Pat's "special" shades -- the sparkly beyond belief, multi-dimensional shades that make the brand stand out so uniquely. I'm happy to see there's a more "wearable" neutral option, as well as a more bright and colorful option. Keep a look out on my Instagram page for looks with these!

5. Hourglass Ambient Lighting Blush Palette -- I feel like the Hourglass holiday releases are always one of the most highly anticipated releases at Sephora, and also one of the first to sell out! I have a trio of their Ambient Lighting Powders, and so this year, I opted for the newly introduced blush quad, as I have not yet tried Hourglass blushes. I really like that the quad offers a good mix of shades that can be worn on their own, or layered for unique effects. I'm super excited to dive into this and will surely post a review after I have broken it in a bit. As for the packaging, I really like it! I know a lot of people have been turned off by the plastic bottom, and honestly, I was, too, at first. But, I was pleasantly surprised to see it looks much nicer in person. (To me, at least!)

6. Urban Decay Naked Honey Eyeshadow Palette -- Not gonna' lie -- I did a complete 180 on this palette. When I first saw photos, I was convinced this would be an easy pass for me. Not to mention that I have not been drawn into Urban Decay releases for quite some years now. When I saw the Naked Honey palette in person, though, I was pleasantly surprised! At first glance, it certainly looks like just another neutral palette with a pop of yellow. Upon closer inspection, though, I realized theres a lot of rich yellow and amber tones that would make for some beautiful fall looks. Topped by the coincidence that I've been super into neutral looks lately, I was happy to add this palette to my collection.

7. Natasha Denona Metropolis Eyeshadow Palette -- In a market that's flooded with new releases literally daily, it often seems like there's not many products that stand out in a superior way. Enter Natasha Denona eyeshadows. 😍  I've said this countless times before, and will say it countless times more -- Natasha Denona makes the absolute best eyeshadows I have ever tried. The formula is so incredibly unique, easy to work with, and just so breathtaking, that this is one of the few high-end items I sincerely feel is worth the high price tag. The Metropolis palette not only screams fall, but has so much diversity that it can easily serve as an all-seasons palette. Is there some overlap between this and her previous palettes at first glance? Absolutely. But what I have come to learn with her shadows is that although shadows look similar in the pans (both within single and across multiple palettes), once applied, each shadow's unique undertone shines. I love that she's going with small pan sizes and incorporating more shades, and I cannot wait to dive into this beauty! (Apologies in advance for the flood of looks you will soon see on my Instagram page! 😂)

Thank you so much for visiting! Wishing you all a vibrant, fun, and sparkly "Falliday" season!! 😄

No comments:

Post a Comment